Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Laughing at our self, WHY NOT???

Laughing at our self, WHY NOT?

"Hidup adalah perjalanan maka nikmatilah, Hidup adalah tantangan maka hadapilah, dan hidup adalah permainan maka bermainlah dengan baik dan benar"
Kadang kita berasumsi bahwa hidup kita berhenti ketika terjadi suatu kesulitan atau masalah, masalah keuangan, pasangan hidup dan mungkin masalah berhadapan dengan budaya baru disaat kita memulai suatu perjalanan hidup. Tak jarang di antara kita ketika menghadapi budaya baru atau bahkan keadaan yang baru membuat kita tertekan atau bahkan sampai stress olehnya, banyak mengeluh tentang keadaan atau budaya baru atau bahkan tidak mau sama sekali berhubungan dengan budaya atau lingkungan disekitar yang serba asing, maka dari itu kenapa kita tidak mau mencoba, jika memang ada kesalaahan, kenapa tidak Laughing at our self untuk proses belajar.
Saya memepunyai beberapa pengalaman dimana saya dituntut untuk masuk dalam suatu budaya baru dan kebiasaan baru. Dan inilah pengalaman saya itu.

Saat itu, saya sedang mengikuti program pertukaran budaya di Amerika selama setahun, dan kejadianya pada pagi pertama ketika saya diajak sarapan pagi di depan saya hanya ada roti, semangkuk cereals dan segelas orange jus, saya menikmati sarapan pagi saat itu sambil ngobrol dengan keluarga yang saya tinggali, tapi sayang setalah 2 jam sarapan perut saya lapar lagi karena tidak makan nasi, jadi saya bilang ke keluarga itu saya belum sarapan, dan sontak mereka kaget kareana baru 2 jam yang lalu menikmati sarapan bersama, (saat itu seperti anggapan orang jawa, sarapan berarti makan nasi).
This is another story, it was my first night I slept with one guy from Argentina, he is very nice person, and we had good communication, we were discus about work or culture until mid night and finally we stop our conversation because it was mid night. First I went to the bath room to brush my teeth, after that I went back to my room but some thing made me shocking and I never could forget it, the guy was naked in front of me and just walked in front of me without shy or permission so and that time I just stood up and watched him, no speak or breathing just like a statue and So for the next day I told him that in y culture it is not polite so after I told him he was laughing and said sorry, and it was my "first night" to see an adult guy naked…haha
When I get use too American culture I had to get back to Indonesia, and it was not easy though. I have too experience reentry and it was quite hard for my self. I got mess up with my own culture with American’s culture. Last time when I walked around with friends, I brought a cone of ice cream and eat it while I was walking, suddenly all my friends look at me with strange face.
I said "what?"
One of them said that it is not polite to eat while we walking. I haven’t completely recovered from reentry of American-Javanesse I have to be send to Timor island, which name I only heard in news paper. I have no idea about the culture in Timor island, so you can imagine I do so many silly things (Again!!!!!)

And this is my very impression experience that I had I west timor, actually last month I got this experience. I was stay in my friend house to celebrate Christmas and new year. This family is from SABU tribe \ ( it is one of tribe in West Tmor). Actually I don’t know the culture in here for greeting each other, it was after Christmas service in the church, all the members of the church went out to greeting with the pastor including me, I saw one by one rubbing each other nose, in my culture people have a quite wide personal area so it not common to be physically too close to other people. so I thought it was only for the members but when my turn is coming I just want to shake hand but the priest pull my hand and make his face close with mine at that moment I almost scream out and said "Noooooo don’t do that"
but finally….
HE GOT MY NOSE….….

but for me it was not that bad and latter on I got use to it and here I have little tips to do it for you, please pull your lips back and close your mouth, you have to do it other wise…well,.. you know what will happen……

the other experience was my over confident teach student in the Peace School. It was the time to say good bye, so I told the children to come again tomorrow, I said that information in Teturn, I said " abang tinan 2 mai" (that’s mean tomorrow age 2 came again) and actually I want to say " abang tuku 2 mai) (tomorrow at 2 o’clock came again), the different is I use Tinan and Tuku (age and O’clock) so after I said like that all my student look at me and laughing at me and all the student call me Tinan 2 ( 2 years old).

After all disaster to learn new culture and language, now I could learn a lot and some times if I remember all of silly things I could laughing at my self. But one thing that I can share is why we need to be shy to learn new thing padahal from our mistake or silly thing we could get a lot of knowledge. So "just laughing at our self" if you made some thing silly, especially if you want to try some thing new or you in the middle of strange place. Keep moving guys!!! Don’t be afraid to laugh for our self.
published on newslleter Timor Lesste.

No comments: