Sunday, March 16, 2008

learn from e-mail


Talking is no more teaching than listening is learning

I believe that when we face up difficult time we need some support and some advice from our friends or family. And this week I found my self that I need some body to help me out in such of boring time in East Timor. So last time I send an e-mail to one of my best friend and I got the great e-mail that gave me new spirit to go.
After read this e-mail, I’m blessed with such of words that he wrote to me. I realize that even in elderly we could share some of knowledge to the young generation, and I’m proud that as a young I could learn from him.
In this e-mail I learned also that we could make some of new style to teach, because right now, I teach in Dili, and so bless that he gave me new idea to teach. Another thing that I had learn is we don’t have to speak a lot but just listen other and be quite and listen other is more great, and now, I try to listen what other want from me and I will do the best for them.
And amazingly I found that Fear take all my energy, and I make me more down in difficult time, but after read this e-mail, I don’t have to worry or fear about any thing, God hand always lead me.

"Dear Nofika ....
You might have thought that we have fallen off the edge of the planet since it has been several weeks since I have written to you. Fear not! My absence is because we have been out of this area for several weeks, and I have not had access to a computer. First, we planned a two week vacation in the south - state of Florida. It had been some time since we had the pleasure of just going off on our own, without responsibility for anyone. (When you are OLD, you have this luxury!!) While in Florida, we had word from members of my family that my younger brother, who had been very ill for a long time, was not going to live very long. Thus, we rushed home, and upon arrival, received a phone call from my sister that my (younger) brother had indeed, died. This was a sad time so we made the 350 mile trip west and shared with the family in the funeral. Now we are back at the Dock Woods resident, tired, but otherwise feeling very well. I went to the men's fellowship (coffee) on Wednesday morning and shared some of your letter. Several of the men wanted your email address, and as soon as I can, I will share that with them. I brought your greeting to all of them.
You mentioned that it is hard to teach the students, especially when they do not pay attention. Is it possible for you to involve them in materials they might find more interesting, such as a newspaper? I remember working with a teacher in Prague, Czech Republic who used common ordinary materials. Even "comic books". Another thing is that the teacher there asked others who spoke English, to join them in "conversational groups". Any thing to avoid simply talking. We used to say, "Talking is no more teaching than listening is learning".
You also mentioned that at times you experience "fear". On the downside, fear takes a lot of your energy, and tires you out. On the upside, fear alerts your body, focuses your attention, and allows you to draw closer to yourself in protection to those opposing forces. So fear is not all bad!! What you describe about the local conditions seems to come close to "civil way" where factions are working against each other. We know that you will persevere with your work until you complete what you set out to do. And, may the God of love and grace keep you and fill you with Holy energy (of the Spirit) so that you will be safe, and also finish what you set out to do.
Nofika, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
We have also worked in many foreign and hard places, but have never been threatened with our lives. So, we know that such work taxes your mind, body and Spirit. HE that called you will guide you through to the end. So, be at peace in your heart and life.
With affection ...
Harry (and Dot)
Dock Woods (Mennonite) Community
118 Dock Drive
Lansdale, PA 19446-6230"

And above all this e-mail, I had learn about life and realize that I need someone to teach me more. And take time being quite and listening other feeling is the best serve other that I ever know.
Be peace and, continue to learn.

No comments: